[asterisk-users] G.729 pre-compiled binaries and Asterisk 1.2.x.

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Mon Jan 14 16:51:35 CST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 5:09 PM, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:

> Asterisk 1.2.24 seems to crash repeatedly under any substantial call load
> (and sometimes without a substantial call load - just one SIP leg is
> enough to do it) when using the G.729 pre-compiled binaries from:
>
>        http://asterisk.hosting.lv/
>
> As per:
>
>        http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+G.729+Licensing
>
> Time to crash is variable, but seems to require at least an hour of
> production performance (50+) to get there.  Sometimes a little less, but
> not much.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this, and anyone know what gives?  My first
> thought would be a slight incompatibility between the binary and the
> instruction set for the CPU that is only triggered sparsely.  However, I
> am confident I have the correct instruction set matched to my CPU (Xeon).
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Alex Balashov
> Evariste Systems
> Web    : http://www.evaristesys.com/
> Tel    : +1-678-954-0670
> Direct : +1-678-954-0671

I would suggest building it yourself (
http://www.readytechnology.co.uk/open/ipp-codecs/doc-svn6.txt).  It is not
that difficult and ensures that it "should" be compatible with your
machine.  Just a little work.

Either that or pay for the legal licensing of G729 and get support through
the appropriate channels.  Using the code for anything other than learning
purposes is illegal, not to mention that licensing is quite inexpensive.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro