[asterisk-users] Recorded calls skipping

Jay Moore jaymoore at accu-com.com
Thu Jan 3 08:13:55 CST 2008

Steve Totaro wrote:
> Jay Moore wrote:
>> Greetings, List.
>>
>> I'm having a problem where my recorded calls are skipping every 4-5
>> seconds are so.  I can hear the caller (or callee) just fine and then a
>> second or so of silence followed by the person talking again.  I'm
>> saving my calls as .gsm files and it's worked fine for the past 11
>> months.  I make sure I remove the recorded files from my Asterisk box
>> and put them onto our fileserver, so it's not an issue of disk space.
>> No other settings have been changed, so I'm not sure why my calls aren't
>> being recorded properly now.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Jay
>>

> You do not mention call volumes or simultaneous calls being recorded.
> If you are pushing around 70 or so simultaneous calls then you probably
> have an I/O issue with your hard drive.  Although, I received complaints
> from the phone users about audio chopping before the recording were
> affected.  I assume you are using the monitor app?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Totaro

At absolute maximum, we're probably recording 7-8 simultaneous calls,
but most of the time it's 1-2.  It's a newer rig, so I'm more inclined
to think it's software and not hardware.  Unfortunately, it's an older
version of Asterisk, but I've had zero problems until the skipping
calls, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? :)

I restarted Asterisk and it seems to have solved the problem -- for now
at least.  I'm a rookie when it comes to Asterisk, any suggestions on
what to do to if it happens again?

Thanks,
Jay