[asterisk-users] app_voicemail - Failed to open file ../tmp/xxxxx.WAV

John Hawley jhawley at hissingdragon.net
Tue Feb 19 14:27:59 CST 2008

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 01:50:32PM -0600, John Hawley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Would anyone have a clue on this issue?
>
> I'm running asterisk 1.4.13.  Trying to get a WAV voicemail file
> attachment sent to my email address.
> Voicemail is working fine.  Email notification of a new message works
> fine.  However, when I set up voicemail.conf to have an attachment of
> the file sent to email I get an error message like this on the console:
>
> [Feb 17 13:33:37] WARNING[17296]: app_voicemail.c:1633 base_encode:
> Failed to open file:
> /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/hdn/101/tmp/KtqxHG.WAV: No such file or
> directory
>
> The directory exists and is owned by asterisk.asterisk.  The context and
> extension are valid, and as I said all other aspects of voicemail are
> working.  I even get a msg####.WAV file attached to my notification
> message, but it is zero bytes.
>
> Sox is installed (if that matters).

Nevermind.
It was sox.  It was indeed installed, but needed some actual formats to work with :/
Silly package manager.

root at muk:INBOX# sox -v1.5 msg0004.WAV t.WAV
sox soxio: Failed reading `msg0004.WAV': unknown file type `wav'

root at muk:asterisk# apt-get install libsox-fmt-base
root at muk:asterisk# dpkg -l |grep sox
ii  libsox-fmt-base                      14.0.0-5                Minimal set of SoX format libraries
ii  libsox0                              14.0.0-5                SoX library
ii  sox                                  14.0.0-5                Swiss army knife of sound processing

root at muk:INBOX# sox -v1.5 msg0004.WAV t.WAV
sox sox: t.WAV: output clipped 15 samples; decrease volume?
sox sox: msg0004.WAV: balancing clipped 27 samples; decrease volume?

~jh