[asterisk-users] Zaptel 1.4.8 breaks tor2 support on CentOS 5.1? (kernel panic)

Nick Seraphin asterisk at eaglequest.com
Sun Feb 17 20:17:24 CST 2008

Hi all...  I did some Google searches and didn't find any info on this so
I'm posting it here... if this was recently discussed, I apologize for the
duplication -- please point me to the appropriate thread.

System Description:

	Supermicro SuperServer 5015M-MF w/ PDSMi Motherboard
	Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz CPU
	2 GB DDR2 Memory

	Digium T400P 4 Port T1 Card

	CentOS 5.1 (Final)
	Kernel:  2.6.18-53.1.13.el5

	All yum updates applied.

	Zaptel 1.4.8 compiles with no errors or warnings.

Problem:

	When I reboot the server, the machine crashes (hard down) with a
kernel panic right as the console says "Starting udev:".

	I go in with the rescue disk, delete the tor2.ko file, and it will
boot fine.  I do a "make install" again with 1.4.8 and when rebooting the
machine locks up again - kernel panic.

The panic message has a lot of stuff that I don't understand, a lot of
which scrolls off the screen, but I do notice it mentions the "tor2"
driver several times.

It happens EVERY time I boot if the tor2.ko file exists, even if I turn
off the zaptel service with chkconfig, and even if I delete all the zaptel
files from /etc/sysconfig and the init.d and rc.d directories.

I tried loading just ztdummy and deleting tor2.ko and it works fine, so
it looks like it's specifically a problem with the tor2 driver.

I then tried loading the latest 1.2 zaptel release version, and that works
fine - no errors, no crashes, and everything is perfect.  (with tor2)

So then I tried loading zaptel 1.4.7 and it works fine too.  No errors, no
crashes, works great.  (with tor2)

So something was broken between 1.4.7 and 1.4.8 that specifically affects
the tor2 driver and the T400P card.

What should I do?  I obviously can't fix the problem myself, so is there a
fix coming?  Is this a known issue?  Will 1.4.9 fix it when it comes out?

Thanks,

-- Nick Seraphin