[asterisk-users] UK -999 dialing issue

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Fri Feb 15 04:07:12 CST 2008

Jared Smith <jsmith at digium.com> writes:

> I've been suggesting that for about four years now (long before I ever
> started working for Digium), but the core Asterisk developers tell me it
> will have a very negative impact on Asterisk performance.

The only reason why it has a negative impact is because everything is
reparsed all the time. If the whole file was parsed ahead-of-time,
having switchable regexp syntaxes would only cost a mispredicted jump
each time.

Ahead-of-time parsing is currently impossible because of realtime dial
plans. That's not a showstopper for me personally, because I think the
current realtime dial plan support is a bad idea anyway, but obviously
there are others with different opinions. Another problem is the
ability to add extensions at runtime, but it should not be impossible
to call a parser function before inserting new extensions.

/Benny