[asterisk-users] External MWI question for Asterisk

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Tue Feb 5 00:52:28 CST 2008

5 feb 2008 kl. 06.31 skrev Jason Crum:

> Hey there. I've been working on a project to integrate Asterisk with
> Exchange Unified Messaging via sipX using large parts borrowed from:
>
> http://blog.lithiumblue.com/2007/04/accessing-exchange-2007-unified_29.html
>
> ... and everything works surprisingly well. The one problem I have
> is MWI, or a lack thereof. Exchange 2007 doesn't support MWI of any
> kind (!), so I've been looking into using a product from Geomant to
> fill that gap. They have a package called MWI2007 that handles MWI
> for Exchange 2007.
>
> The Geomant guys were good enough to supply me with a demo copy and
> I've got it running. So far, so good. The one thing I can't seem to
> figure out is how to make Asterisk accept external MWI notifications
> for the phones registered to it. At first I thought it was the sipX
> server not routing the MWI back to Asterisk, but a packet dump
> confirmed that the MWI packets are reaching Asterisk.
>
> I've been looking through voip-info.org and a few other sites, but I
> can't seem to find any information on how to allow Asterisk to
> accept external MWI SIP notifications.
>
> Could someone point me in the right direction on how to tell
> Asterisk to accept MWI notifications from an external source for
> phones it currently has registered?
It is currently not possible. With the new event-driven MWI
notification system in 1.6, it should be possible to add code for it,
but it would be kind of tricky. If you send an MWI to an extension -
how do we know where to send it? We either need to use the existing
hints that connect the extensions to the device name space, or add a
new sort of voicemail hints that connects an extension to a
voicemailbox ID that we devices can subscribe to.

/O