[asterisk-users] External MWI question for Asterisk

Jason Crum jccrum at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 23:31:36 CST 2008

Hey there. I've been working on a project to integrate Asterisk with
Exchange Unified Messaging via sipX using large parts borrowed from:

http://blog.lithiumblue.com/2007/04/accessing-exchange-2007-unified_29.html

... and everything works surprisingly well. The one problem I have is MWI,
or a lack thereof. Exchange 2007 doesn't support MWI of any kind (!), so
I've been looking into using a product from Geomant to fill that gap. They
have a package called MWI2007 that handles MWI for Exchange 2007.

The Geomant guys were good enough to supply me with a demo copy and I've got
it running. So far, so good. The one thing I can't seem to figure out is how
to make Asterisk accept external MWI notifications for the phones registered
to it. At first I thought it was the sipX server not routing the MWI back to
Asterisk, but a packet dump confirmed that the MWI packets are reaching
Asterisk.

I've been looking through voip-info.org and a few other sites, but I can't
seem to find any information on how to allow Asterisk to accept external MWI
SIP notifications.

Could someone point me in the right direction on how to tell Asterisk to
accept MWI notifications from an external source for phones it currently has
registered?

Thanks in advance!