[asterisk-users] Country numbering plan resources

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Dec 12 21:24:56 CST 2008

One of the problems you'll run into is that in larger countries like the
US, and/or countries with greater amounts of telecom interconnection,
competition and deregulation, this information cannot be reduced simply
to a convenient algorithm.

The North American Numbering Plan (www.nanpa.com) does provide some
basic standards for valid numbers, but aside from that, there exists no
special numerological distinction between incumbent and competitive,
fixed-line and mobile, or VoIP, and extensive number portability throws
even more complexity into the mix.

I'm not saying it can't be done - just be aware that the undertaking
you're proposing is very complicated, and the information would come
from innumerable data sources (a great deal of them commercial and
expensive) and a bewilderingly overlapping array of standards bodies.

For instance, something like this:

> NZ Cellular:
> area code 21 and 29 followed by 6, 7 or 8 digits - Vodafone GSM
> area code 27 followed by 6 or 7 digits - NZ Telecom CDMA
> note that there is number portability so the above is a guide.

... sounds like a laughably, impossibly simplistic formula to a North
American reader.  And I can't imagine the situation in many other
countries is much simpler.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems