[asterisk-users] We think we are cpe but they think they are cpe too

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri Dec 5 07:28:45 CST 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Uros Djokic <uros.djokic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for reply. I think I already made a crossover cable :
> pins 1,2,4,5 and 4,5,1,2 and I still see red light on modem.
>
> pin 1 is in rj45-1 and is going to pin 4 in rj45-2 (orange with white
> stripe)
> pin 2 is in rj45-1 and is going to pin 5 in rj45-2 (solid orange)
> pin 4 is in rj45-1 and is going to pin 1 in rj45-2 (solid blue)
> pin 5 is in rj45-1 and is going to pin 2 in rj45-2 (blue with white stripe)
>
> Does color of wires matter ?
>
> I showed a cable to telco workers when they mount isn pri modem and they
> said
> its ok. I dunno what is the problem. When I put loopback in modem's port
> I still see red lights on rx. I know alarm should fall on their side and I
> need to
> see no red lights right ?
>
> Can you tell me is libtermcap package essential for compiling libpri or
> zaptel ?
> I installed all packages except that because there is no such package on
> Ubuntu 8.04.
> Maybe libpri or zaptel did not compile ok because they could not find
> libtermcap ?
> I din't see any error massages and both said compiled and installed
> succesfuly.
>
> Maybe those lazy telco workers even did not activate number who knows
> everything
> is possible.
>
> Thank you again
> Uros
> --
> Use Free Software http://www.fsf.org/
> Four essential software freedoms:
> 1) To study source code
> 2) To copy program
> 3) To modify source code
> 4) To redistribute modified program under condition that new user has all 4
> freedoms.
> Richard M. Stallman

Some telco techs put in jacks that require nothing but a straight
through cable.  I have mixed feelings about this but, what works,
works.

Colors don't matter, just pins, 1,2-4,5.  I have rarely seen 1,2-5-4
but more than once.

If a circuit is in alarm for a while, the telco will turn down the
circuit because they don't want the alarm and may even factor into an
"Uptime Report" at some telcos.

Before going one step further, make cables of all types, 1,2-4,5,
1,2-5,4, and straight through, call the telco, tell them to turn up
the circuit and keep them on the phone until you get a link light.

If it flashes, my limited E1 experience indicates that crc4 may be an
issue (if you even have it in your conf or circuit)

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro