[asterisk-users] CDR Design

Andrew Thomas andy at datavox.co.uk
Fri Dec 5 07:41:06 CST 2008

"Pardon me,"

Granted ;).

"I have created realtime stats package that's based on CDR, you see new
info immediately after call leg/event is over"

I see what you are saying but can you show hold-times etc?  For example,
call comes in to A, A puts call on hold, A dials B, B answers A, A
transfers call to B, B speaks to caller.  Basic PBX functionality - but
how long did it take B to answer A?  What if B is an external number
(trunk to trunk)?

To illustrate - dial an external number and, while on that call, check
your CDR's - there isn't any.  Now put that call on hold, still none,
now call another internal extension - still none. Now hang up and
transfer the call. Now there is one CDR for your call. That isn't
real-time - that's historic (ie. it happens AFTER the call is finished).

The CDR that's produced here will show your call to the outside world -
and its duration etc. So far, so good (for historic reporting).  Now get
the person you transferred the call to to hang up.   Another CDR record
- but this show as you talking to the internal extension - not the
external extension talking to the outside world.

Therefore, if the 2nd extension stays on that call for a long time -
who's picking up the bill?

Current CDR's are lacking in this respect - and I think this is what
murf is trying to sort out (please jump in here murf).