[asterisk-users] Heist of MagicJack SIP credentials?

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Sat Aug 30 12:25:37 CDT 2008

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:31:26 -0500, Karl Fife wrote:

>While I myself am not a MagicJack user, I'm curious as to whether anyone
>here has managed to heist their MagicJack account's sip credentials, and
>use them to terminate calls using asterisk.  Apparently it's as simple
>as sniffing the SIP credentials.  If so, said person would enjoy
>unlimited termination for $20 year while retaining the flexibility of
>setting their CallerID to a preferred DID number.
>
>Has anybody done, or know of someone who has done this?
>
>-Karl

 No, but if you did this and posted it online you get HUGE traffic! I
posted only one or two items about Magic Jack over the months and they
generate constant page views. I don't really undertand why.

Some folks are going to what I think are considerable efforts to make
the Magic Jack USB device work with thin clients so that they don't
need their PC on 24/7. That's a lot of effort. If someone published a
way to make a plain old ATA word with MJ you might even force them to
change their operating practices.

Remember that their little client gets fed adverts and they track all
your calling habits in order to target those adverts. You call Domino's
to order a pizza and they're likely to show you a Papa John's ad next
time.

Michael
--
Michael Graves