[asterisk-users] Asterisk connected to the PSTN vs. a commercial solution

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 21:21:53 CDT 2008

> Asterisks greatest strength is that it's a highly flexible platform that
> let's you pretty much do anything.
>
> It's downside, is that it's a highly flexible platform that let's you
> pretty much do anything.
>
> In other words, the quality of what you are trying to do depends on the
> quality and volume of the development and testing.

That's one of the best statements about deploying asterisk that I've yet read.

1) Research Research Research
2) Plan Plan Plan
3) Build/Implement
4) Test Test Test Test
5) Deploy

If you don't feel like doing steps 1, 2, and 4, then go with a
commercial solution where they've already done those things for you.
You'll likely sacrifice flexibility, but those things are taken care
of (or should be) by the vendor.

- Noah