[asterisk-users] Asterisk connected to the PSTN vs. a commercial solution

JD jdupuy-list at socket.net
Tue Aug 26 16:40:25 CDT 2008

Asterisks greatest strength is that it's a highly flexible platform that
let's you pretty much do anything.

It's downside, is that it's a highly flexible platform that let's you
pretty much do anything.

In other words, the quality of what you are trying to do depends on the
quality and volume of the development and testing.

If you want something that just works and if you want somebody to be
willing to answer the phone and fix the problems that _will_ happen,
then I recommend looking at the commercial products. Ironically, many of
those commercial products use Asterisk. That's okay. The key is that
they have vetted and developed it for you.

The reason I bring this up, is that asking if Asterisk "supports T1/E1
interfaces to do PSTN" implies that you might not have done a lot of
research. You have a lot left to go if you want to roll-your-own
solution. Please forgive me if my impression is wrong about this.

John