[asterisk-users] US-based echo test servers?

Darren Sessions dmsessions at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 12:44:51 CDT 2008

Another thing you may want to do is try a simple ping test to the far
end host. While this may not always be a reliable way to test lag
given that the far end maybe just a proxy and your RTP may be
terminating to another device, it still should give you a good idea
what your lag times are at least on the signaling end of things. You
could also do a traceroute to see how many hops your having to jump
through as well.

You could use a tool like ngrep to actually see the sip signaling and
copy out the media gateway from the SDP if you really wanted to, and
do a ping on that.

I've done extensive work with international voip origination and
termination, and typically I haven't had any problems unless it's
going over satellite (lag) or there is a problem at the far end
(usually pdd or quality issues).

If things keep up, I'd even consider running top during a call to see
what kind of utilization your local server is at just to make sure
something isn't wrong there either.

Hope this helps,

- Darren

dmsessions at gmail.com