[asterisk-users] IAX2 encryption - LAN. no, INET: yes???

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Mon Aug 11 11:06:20 CDT 2008

Stefan Gofferje wrote:
> I have configured all IAX clients with encryption. I use Zoiper as a
> softphone. When I make a call in the LAN from desktop-PC to *, the call
> is - according to wireshark not encrypted. Wireshark identifies the
> packets as normal G.711 mu-law packets. However, * reports the client as
> encrypted:
>
> k-tanco*CLI> iax2 show peers
> Name/Username    Host                 Mask             Port          Status
> sgofferj         RFC-1918 IP    (D)  255.255.255.255  4570      (E) OK
> (2 ms)
>
> Funnily, if my friend calls me from internet - also with Zoiper -
> Wireshark cannot identify the packets so I conclude, the call is encrypted.
> Does this make any sense?

You'd have to provide a packet capture to see exactly what is happening.
  It sounds like on the call leg between your client and Asterisk, it
isn't offering encryption as a capability, so it doesn't get used.
However, when your friend calls you, and Asterisk makes a call out to
your client, it offers encryption, and your client accepts it.

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer