[asterisk-users] IAX2 encryption - LAN. no, INET: yes???

Stefan Gofferje list-asterisk-users at gofferje.homelinux.org
Fri Aug 8 15:23:31 CDT 2008

Hi,

I have configured all IAX clients with encryption. I use Zoiper as a
softphone. When I make a call in the LAN from desktop-PC to *, the call
is - according to wireshark not encrypted. Wireshark identifies the
packets as normal G.711 mu-law packets. However, * reports the client as
encrypted:

k-tanco*CLI> iax2 show peers
Name/Username    Host                 Mask             Port          Status
sgofferj         RFC-1918 IP    (D)  255.255.255.255  4570      (E) OK
(2 ms)

Funnily, if my friend calls me from internet - also with Zoiper -
Wireshark cannot identify the packets so I conclude, the call is encrypted.
Does this make any sense?

Terve,
Stefan

--