[asterisk-users] IAX2 encryption - LAN. no, INET: yes???

Stefan Gofferje list-asterisk-users at gofferje.homelinux.org
Mon Aug 11 11:36:54 CDT 2008

Russell Bryant schrieb:

> You'd have to provide a packet capture to see exactly what is happening.
>   It sounds like on the call leg between your client and Asterisk, it
> isn't offering encryption as a capability, so it doesn't get used.
> However, when your friend calls you, and Asterisk makes a call out to
> your client, it offers encryption, and your client accepts it.

Hm, not sure if I get your point.

This is the infrastructure (exempt):

Zoiper --LAN-- Asterisk --INET-- Zoiper
(my)               |             (friend)

                 Cisco
                 phone

When I dial the Cisco phone from my Zoiper, wireshark shows unencrypted
packets. When my friend calls the Cisco phone from her Zoiper, wireshark
shows "unknown" = encrypted(?) packets. We are both using the same
Zoiper release, just she on MAC and I on Windows PC.

I also now tested to make a call from the Cisco phone to my Zoiper -
also no encryption.
Would it make sense to introduce a parameter forceencryption=yes per
peer in iax.conf? In sensitive environments, people want to be certain
that a call is encrypted. They probably rather want a call to fail than
have a call that might be unencrypted without knowing it.

Terve,
Stefan

--
Last words of a stormchaser: