[asterisk-users] FWD $30 membership-fee

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Thu Aug 7 13:48:56 CDT 2008

Gonzalo Servat wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Joseph <syscon780 at gmail.com
> <mailto:syscon780 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I just received an email notice from FWD about $30 membership fee.
>     My question: Is the email genuine? Did anybody else receive it?
>
>     I'm just trying to be sure that it is real and not a scam.
>     The (FWD) does not do anything to authenticate such emails
>     (implementing GPG/PGP signature etc.)
>
>     If the email is genuine, I hope they will improve their service;
>     as of now their IAX server is not working.
>

> I just went to www.freeworlddialup.com
> <http://www.freeworlddialup.com> and the top banner says something
> about Paid Membership which links to:
>
> http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaid=138192
>
> I'm not sure whether they will discontinue offering the "free"
> accounts. I sure hope not, they would have to consider a name change
> too. I don't really use FWD but I'm sure a lot of users would be affected.
>
> - Gonzalo

 From what I can ascertain, this is a way to essentially fund Jeff
Pulver's political agenda. I remember writing something a couple of
years back (
http://neil.ideasip.com/2006/03/08/von-coalition-and-the-ideals-of-the-little-guy/
) about how the VON Coalition, which is meant to be a political action
committee to help foster new communications, has a somewhat high barrier
to entry (minimum $10,000 per year).

As far as I can tell, this FWD membership is a less expensive way for
people to put their money behind a similar agenda (well... okay, Jeff's
agenda, whatever that may be).

The only real issue I see with it is that, a political action committee
is a committee. The FWD membership seems a little less transparent. It
could very well be a way to fund Jeff Pulver's personal vision. While
he's done some great things in the community, I still feel awkward with
the idea of funding the whole "One man. One voice. One decision. No
oversight" idea.

I'm eager to see how it pans out, though.

N.