[asterisk-users] Panasonic Door phone monitor to Asterisk box?

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Fri Aug 1 10:09:11 CDT 2008

C F wrote:
> the Panasonic model you mention will only work with a panasonic PBX.
> and no it does NOT plug into a station port on the Panasonic but onto
> the door card of any of the Panasonic systems.
> Having installed that Panasonic video doorboxes in the past I would
> suggest stay away from it. it is not as nice as the brouchures make it
> look, and extremly overpriced.

Glad I asked.  Here's what I REALLY want to do...  I like the look of
the Panasonic door unit - looks like a simple doorbell, but has a
camera, mic, speaker in there as well as the button.  I want the camera
(NTSC) hooked to a video capture card full time so that system can
always see outside.  I'm happy with a plain old doorbell sounding when
the button is pressed.  I don't care about the inside wall mounted panel
at all, and I'd be happy to have the mic/speaker connected to my
asterisk box somehow.  This means:

- the doorbell works with a chime
- my home automation/security system can always view out the camera
- I can call the outside unit from my Asterisk PBX and talk to whoever
is out there.

It all starts with the outside hardware, do you (or anyone else) know of
a nice looking unit preferably along the lines of the look of the
Panasonic unit?

Steve