[asterisk-users] Panasonic Door phone monitor to Asterisk box?

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 12:22:39 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Steve Prior <sprior at geekster.com> wrote:
> C F wrote:
>> the Panasonic model you mention will only work with a panasonic PBX.
>> and no it does NOT plug into a station port on the Panasonic but onto
>> the door card of any of the Panasonic systems.
>> Having installed that Panasonic video doorboxes in the past I would
>> suggest stay away from it. it is not as nice as the brouchures make it
>> look, and extremly overpriced.
>
> Glad I asked.  Here's what I REALLY want to do...  I like the look of
> the Panasonic door unit - looks like a simple doorbell, but has a
> camera, mic, speaker in there as well as the button.  I want the camera
> (NTSC) hooked to a video capture card full time so that system can
> always see outside.  I'm happy with a plain old doorbell sounding when
> the button is pressed.  I don't care about the inside wall mounted panel
> at all, and I'd be happy to have the mic/speaker connected to my
> asterisk box somehow.  This means:
>
> - the doorbell works with a chime
I beleive Aiphone AX will do that.

> - my home automation/security system can always view out the camera
Again the Aiphone AX should do that. BTW, the Panasonic one turns off
after 1 minute. There is no way to keep it on all the time AFAIK.
> - I can call the outside unit from my Asterisk PBX and talk to whoever
> is out there.
I think that the Aiphone AX will do that. Not 100% sure though. Here
is the instructions and Tech Support is very good:
http://www.aiphone.com/PDF_Files/Prod_Lit/Stock_Instr&Instal/AX-Manual%20(low%20Res).pdf

In most cases such a setup is cheaper and better if you do separate
camera and door box, using some multiplexer that makes sure screen
switches to that door camera on call button.