[asterisk-users] Roaming callback?

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Mon Apr 28 12:25:23 CDT 2008

Jaap Winius wrote:
> Quoting Jerry Harshany <ger at JerryH.us>:
>

>> There is an additional alternative for a ringback to a caller, which
>>  is to use the Call File capability as noted in Van Meggelen's
>> "Future of Telephone"; 2nd ed, p306.
>>

> As it says in the book, call files allow calls to be created through
> the Linux shell. If you've used this to create a roaming callback
> service, then you must have created something that allows users to
> submit a phone number to be called back on, after which a .call file
> is created and moved to the /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing/ directory.
>

>> sleep 8s
>> mv "$1"  "$2"
>> exit 0
>>

> This looks like the step that moves the newly created call file to the
> aforementioned directory.
>

>> In my case, when the caller calls in to 'asterisk', he is prompted
>> for the number he wishes to call. The caller can be at a US or
>> international number, and he can call any US or international
>> number, WITH or WITHOUT ringback. In other words the caller
>> designates whether this is a direct connect call, or a ringback (and
>>  then bridge the called number). I have the complete flexibility of
>> my dial plan extensions to do as I wish with the phone numbers.
>>

> This is what I'm really interested in! How did you manage this? Would
> you be willing to share how you did this?

I would imagine if it's a callback, it creates a callfile. If it's not,
it just connects the call as it would normally. We have a similar thing
for our business customers built using a reasonably simple agi script to
do verification of the caller/account and creation of the call files. A
rather simple Dial command can handle the direct connection after
verification, and a rather simple call file can handle the callback. The
hardest part was getting the DTMF reading to work well. ;)

N.