[asterisk-users] Roaming callback?

Jerry Harshany ger at JerryH.us
Sun Apr 27 20:55:57 CDT 2008

Apologize for mis-directing this previouslyas a new topic, rather than a response.

Hi Jaap,

There is an additional alternative for a ringback to a caller, which is to use the Call File capability as noted in Van Meggelen's "Future of Telephone"; 2nd ed, p306.

There is quite a deal of flexibility with this method, and it keeps all the instructions in the dial plan and only calls (not counting the System calls) one Bash script of 3 simple lines with a System application call:

sleep 8s
mv "$1"  "$2"
exit 0

As you can see, all the paths and file names are set up in extensions.conf.

In my case, when the caller calls in to 'asterisk', he is prompted for the number he wishes to call. The caller can be at a US or international number, and he can call any US or international number, WITH or WITHOUT ringback. In other words the caller designates whether this is a direct connect call, or a ringback (and then bridge the called number). I have the complete flexibility of my dial plan extensions to do as I wish with the phone numbers.

But, if most of my code were in AGI scripts, then I would probably stick with AGI scripts.

I think Van Meggelen's book is clear enough, but if you would like some of my extension examples, please let me know, and I'll be more than happy to supply them.

Thanks for listening,
Gerald Harshany

Using current Asterisk version: SVN-branch-1.6.0-r114304 (on Ubuntu-Gutsy with AMD X2 4000+) and Zaptel current branch SVN 1.4 (with digium's TDM400P)