[asterisk-users] Roaming callback?

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.to
Mon Apr 28 10:49:16 CDT 2008

Quoting Jerry Harshany <ger at JerryH.us>:

> There is an additional alternative for a ringback to a caller, which
>  is to use the Call File capability as noted in Van Meggelen's
> "Future of Telephone"; 2nd ed, p306.

As it says in the book, call files allow calls to be created through
the Linux shell. If you've used this to create a roaming callback
service, then you must have created something that allows users to
submit a phone number to be called back on, after which a .call file
is created and moved to the /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing/ directory.

> sleep 8s
> mv "$1"  "$2"
> exit 0

This looks like the step that moves the newly created call file to the
aforementioned directory.

> In my case, when the caller calls in to 'asterisk', he is prompted
> for the number he wishes to call. The caller can be at a US or
> international number, and he can call any US or international
> number, WITH or WITHOUT ringback. In other words the caller
> designates whether this is a direct connect call, or a ringback (and
>  then bridge the called number). I have the complete flexibility of
> my dial plan extensions to do as I wish with the phone numbers.

This is what I'm really interested in! How did you manage this? Would
you be willing to share how you did this?

Cheers,

Jaap