[asterisk-users] Is Asterisk really good??

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Apr 10 16:17:48 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 04:05:47PM -0400, Al Baker wrote:
> Remember - True TELCO grade systems simply cannot be compared to
> anything else. You want the reliability , uptime, and all the bells
> and whistles of true Carrier Grade Hardware/Software then you pay for
> it. If you want something "you" can tinker under the hood with and
> do some cool stuff with, Asterisk is it. BUT - by it need NORTEL PBX
> reliability or the power and flexibility of a big Rockwell ACD, get
> out your check book. The two are not the same.

Sure.  But even commercial PBX/Hybrid stuff is often more robust than
Asterisk-on-a-PC (I don't have enough anecdotes on appliances, though I
expect they'd be better).

Now, yes, carrier-grade equipment can be as complex and still 4-nines
reliable (or 5-nines :-), but we're now talking NEBS, -48VDC, 23-inch
racks, and 6-digit-plus price tags.

And for what it's worth, at my new job I babysit about a 16-machine
cluster running VICIdial for close to 200 agents, and by and large, it
just runs.  It's got about 20 T-1s feeding it.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)