[asterisk-users] Phantom Rings

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Thu Apr 10 11:05:23 CDT 2008

Quoting Brent Davidson <brent at texascountrytitle.com>:

> I'm having a major problem at one of my branch offices with "Phantom
> Rings" on their asterisk-based phone system.  The system was originally
> built using 2 X100P cards and was recently upgraded to a Rhino R4FXO-EC
> card.  The upgrade severely increased the frequency of the phantom
> rings.  I've read everything I can find on-line about automatic testing
> and noise on the line and have made several calls to Verizon with no
> solution to the problem.  I know the telco switch that is feeding my
> analog lines is an old switch and can't even do CallerID with 2 lines in
> a rollover configuration.  Audio quality on the line is perfect during
> voice calls.  No static or other noise.  I've asked for disconnect
> supervision to be added to the line, but It doesn't look like it's
> there.  The line still seems to keep the channel open long after the far
> end hangs up.
>
> Has anyone else ever seen this problem or have any ideas how to
> eliminate it?

I had the phantom rings for years, once a day same time roughly every
day, finally just got annoyed enough one day I trapped the telco on
the phone with me till I finally got to talk to the right person. The
"right person" knew instantly what I was talking about after months of
previous denials. On DMS switches what you need to insist be added to
your customer line profile is something called "NLT" or no line test.
The "wrong person" can even look it up if you tell them the name of it
- imagine that eh ?

> Thanks,
> Brent Davidson

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com