[asterisk-users] Phantom Rings

Brent Davidson brent at texascountrytitle.com
Thu Apr 10 11:22:10 CDT 2008

Jon Pounder wrote:
> I had the phantom rings for years, once a day same time roughly every
> day, finally just got annoyed enough one day I trapped the telco on
> the phone with me till I finally got to talk to the right person. The
> "right person" knew instantly what I was talking about after months of
> previous denials. On DMS switches what you need to insist be added to
> your customer line profile is something called "NLT" or no line test.
> The "wrong person" can even look it up if you tell them the name of it
> - imagine that eh ?

Unfortunately the tech I spoke to said the switch we're connected to is
so old it has no built-in test capabilities.  To run any sort of line
tests the line has to be disconnected from the switch and connected to
an external test set.  I guess that's one of the things you deal with
when the boss decides to serve only rural markets.  It would be hard to
find locations any more rural than where our branches are.  At present I
have ztmonitor streaming all line activity to a file.  I've got plenty
of hard drive space so I can record all day if I need to.  According to
the manager of the branch in question, there were at least 50 phantom
calls yesterday, but there has only been 1 this morning.  The other
curiosity here is that reviewing my asterisk logs all of the phantom
calls are on 1 line and swapping ports, the calls follow the line.  It's
easy to spot the phantom calls in the logs because they always mention
dropped frames (probably because of the dialtone coming from the Analog
line card).

Thanks,
Brent