[asterisk-users] Phantom Rings

Brent Davidson brent at texascountrytitle.com
Thu Apr 10 10:24:37 CDT 2008

I'm having a major problem at one of my branch offices with "Phantom
Rings" on their asterisk-based phone system.  The system was originally
built using 2 X100P cards and was recently upgraded to a Rhino R4FXO-EC
card.  The upgrade severely increased the frequency of the phantom
rings.  I've read everything I can find on-line about automatic testing
and noise on the line and have made several calls to Verizon with no
solution to the problem.  I know the telco switch that is feeding my
analog lines is an old switch and can't even do CallerID with 2 lines in
a rollover configuration.  Audio quality on the line is perfect during
voice calls.  No static or other noise.  I've asked for disconnect
supervision to be added to the line, but It doesn't look like it's
there.  The line still seems to keep the channel open long after the far
end hangs up.

Has anyone else ever seen this problem or have any ideas how to
eliminate it?

Thanks,
Brent Davidson