[asterisk-users] Where is the Digium DS3 card?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Mon Apr 7 11:11:34 CDT 2008

On Monday 07 April 2008 07:05, Benny Amorsen wrote:
> Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> writes:
> > And the arguments on the other side come down to "I'm using an ISP
> > which can't correctly configure their mailserver, and I'm too lazy to set
> > one up myself."
>
> How can the mail server fix a broken reply-to? It can remove it of
> course, but that is rather silly.

You haven't read the "Reply-To Considered Harmful" article.  The argument
is that some mail servers NEED the Reply-To set, because they (incorrectly)
send out mail with a From address that cannot be sent to.  Correctly
configured mailservers don't need this hack, because they send out mail
with a proper From address.

> > and "I'm too lazy to check the headers when I send out a reply."
>
> Absolutely, I am. At least Gnus has a "broken-reply-to" setting that I
> can toggle. It doesn't solve the problem that proper needed reply-to's
> are removed too (it can't, since the mail server removed all traces of
> them), but fortunately reply-to is almost unnecessary these days.
> Maybe I should just set "broken-reply-to" for all groups, even the
> correctly working ones.

So the question comes down to, do you reply to the list more often or
do you reply off the list more often?  Because the more frequent case
wins.  In my case, I reply to the list more often, which I also believe to be
the case for MOST people; it is the EXTREMELY rare case that I ever reply
off-list.  Hence, we make that case easier for the lazy, which means setting
the Reply-To in the listserv software.  As a side effect, the list traffic is
also far more lively than it would be if we set the software NOT to set the
Reply-To header (which is a good thing IMHO).

--
Tilghman