[asterisk-users] howto debug bad iax voice quality?

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 15:23:49 CDT 2008

I'm set up to call 3 digit extensions at the office ( running 1.4.13)
from home ( 1.6.0 beta7) over iax. 1 out of 3 times the call breaks up,
but only in the home -> office direction. office -> home always sounds good.

If it were a poor internet connection, I'd expect both sides of the
conversation to be poor. Not surprisingly, each side can ping the other
in the same time - 25-30ms. Both servers have the iax jitterbuffer on.

I could always use a lower bit-rate codec ( now using mu-law ), but I
don't see how it could be a "one way" bit-rate issue.

Any suggestions appreciated.

sean