[asterisk-users] Which Asterisk version to use?

Jim Canfield jcanfield at tshmail.com
Thu Sep 27 13:01:20 CDT 2007

   Eric B. wrote:

 site and got to chapter 4 or 5 and decided to take a break.  Which is when I
 found AsteriskNow and TriBox and then started wondering if it was really
 necessary / worthwhile to figure out all the intricacies of the application
 if someones have already created the appliance version of it.  In which
 case, I was very confused as to the difference btwn AsteriskNow and TriBox.

 Thanks!

   Last week I posed a similar question to the list as a "noob".
   Specifically, I was curious why every one was so adverse to GUI
   implementations.   Like you, I entered the asterisk world quite idealistic
   and oblivious to what is actually required to create a functional system
   (still am).  I spent the good part of last week trying to make heads or
   tails of the AsteriskNOW distro, but finally gave up in favor of a plain
   jane Debian install with asterisk and wish I would have never wasted so
   much time trying to figure out how the users.conf  worked.

   <quote>
   [TK]D-Fender - The users.conf is a flaming piece of sh**!
   <\quote>

   I actually thought that was a bit harsh when I read it...turns out to be
   quite accurate.  Long story short, I'm learning to be quite comfortable in
   the CLI and finding myself more productive in nano (yes..nano) than I was
   in the GUI.

   Good luck!

   -jc