[asterisk-users] OT: Samsung Sprint CDMAoIP

Alexander Lopez Alex.Lopez at OpSys.com
Thu Sep 20 23:01:35 CDT 2007

Snip headers
> On 9/20/07, Jason Parker <jparker at digium.com> wrote:
> > C F wrote:
> > > AFAIK, the calls are free when you use it thru that device. Sprint
> > > however charges $15 a month per phone or $30 for family plan.
While I
> > > agree that sprint should pay me for this, it's not as bad.
T-mobile on
> > > the other hand, does the same thing with wifi enabled phones, it
> > > doesn't cost extra, and is completely free.
> > >

> > If you're referring to T-Mobile's "HotSpot at Home" service, it's
actually
> $20
> > per month, per line on the account (unless it's changed very
recently).

> I don't know about that, could be you are right.
>
> > As far as how it works on T-Mobile, I recently had some questions
> answered by
> > them about that..  They use UMA over wifi, and it does automatic
> switching
> > between the wifi and the gsm towers (ie; your call stays up).
>
> The same goes for Sprint.
>

> > Quote from the tech I talked to:
> > "HotSpot at Home does not use a VoIP protocol, as the voice data is
> > transferred from the Internet directly to our UMA Gateway and then
> > through our regular Mobile Switching Centers."
>
> I know it's a quote from the tech, but isn't it voice packets that
> travels over the Internet (a packet switched network) instead of over
> GSM (TDM switched network) which makes that statement incorrect? It
> doesn't matter what the higher level protocol is, it's still VoIP.

Your right it is "STILL VoIP" by definition but its not...

From: http://www.newstep.com/our%20market/technologies.asp

 Gateway-based Solutions
By placing special gateways at the edge of a GSM network, Unlicensed
Mobile Access (UMA) allows users with dual-mode handsets to access
mobile phone services via both cellular and Wi-Fi links. In cellular
mode, voice traffic travels over standard GSM radio waves. In Wi-Fi
mode, an IP tunnel carries GSM traffic across the enterprise network
and/or the Internet to a UMA gateway. The gateway looks like a base
station controller (BSC) to the cellular network, so when a handset
moves between cellular and Wi-Fi coverage, the network handles it as an
ordinary BSC-to-BSC handoff. MSC emulation-also known as IP VLR-is
similar to UMA, except that the gateway mimics a mobile switching center
(MSC) and a visitor location register (VLR) instead of a BSC.

Intimately tied to cellular technology and dual-mode handsets,
gateway-based solutions provide access only to mobile network services
and can be deployed only by facilities-based mobile network operators.
Moreover, gateway-based solutions cannot leverage the full capabilities
of IP and VoIP because all voice traffic remains in TDM format. Service
providers, therefore, view gateway-based solutions as an inadequate
response to the FMC opportunity. They are turning instead to
server-based technology, a more generalized approach that spans all
types of networks: fixed and mobile, IP and TDM, business and
residential.