[asterisk-users] OT: Samsung Sprint CDMAoIP

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 09:33:49 CDT 2007

On 9/21/07, Alexander Lopez <Alex.Lopez at opsys.com> wrote:

> Snip headers
> While I
> T-mobile on
> > > >

> > > If you're referring to T-Mobile's "HotSpot at Home" service, it's
> actually
> > $20
> > > per month, per line on the account (unless it's changed very
> recently).
> > >

> > I don't know about that, could be you are right.
> >
> > > As far as how it works on T-Mobile, I recently had some questions
> > answered by
> > > them about that..  They use UMA over wifi, and it does automatic
> > switching
> > > between the wifi and the gsm towers (ie; your call stays up).
> >
> > The same goes for Sprint.
> >

> > > Quote from the tech I talked to:
> > > "HotSpot at Home does not use a VoIP protocol, as the voice data is
> > > transferred from the Internet directly to our UMA Gateway and then
> > > through our regular Mobile Switching Centers."
> >
> > I know it's a quote from the tech, but isn't it voice packets that
> > travels over the Internet (a packet switched network) instead of over
> > GSM (TDM switched network) which makes that statement incorrect? It
> > doesn't matter what the higher level protocol is, it's still VoIP.
> >
> Your right it is "STILL VoIP" by definition but its not...

Yes it is, not only in definition but in practice as well. See below.

> From: http://www.newstep.com/our%20market/technologies.asp
>
>  Gateway-based Solutions
> By placing special gateways at the edge of a GSM network, Unlicensed
> Mobile Access (UMA) allows users with dual-mode handsets to access
> mobile phone services via both cellular and Wi-Fi links. In cellular
> mode, voice traffic travels over standard GSM radio waves. In Wi-Fi
> mode, an IP tunnel carries GSM traffic across the enterprise network
> and/or the Internet to a UMA gateway. The gateway looks like a base
> station controller (BSC) to the cellular network, so when a handset
> moves between cellular and Wi-Fi coverage, the network handles it as an
> ordinary BSC-to-BSC handoff. MSC emulation-also known as IP VLR-is
> similar to UMA, except that the gateway mimics a mobile switching center
> (MSC) and a visitor location register (VLR) instead of a BSC.
>
> Intimately tied to cellular technology and dual-mode handsets,
> gateway-based solutions provide access only to mobile network services
> and can be deployed only by facilities-based mobile network operators.
> Moreover, gateway-based solutions cannot leverage the full capabilities
> of IP and VoIP because all voice traffic remains in TDM format. Service

When the above line is taken out of context (which is what I
understood from your response) then it could be said that it suggests
it's not VoIP. But really all the paper is saying is that to the
network (GSM) it doesn't look like VoIP but like TDM, since it's in
that format, and can therefore not take advantage of most VoIP
features. But it's still VoIP.