[asterisk-users] OT: Samsung Sprint CDMAoIP

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 21:53:31 CDT 2007

On 9/20/07, Jason Parker <jparker at digium.com> wrote:
> C F wrote:
> > AFAIK, the calls are free when you use it thru that device. Sprint
> > however charges $15 a month per phone or $30 for family plan. While I
> > agree that sprint should pay me for this, it's not as bad. T-mobile on
> > the other hand, does the same thing with wifi enabled phones, it
> > doesn't cost extra, and is completely free.
> >

> If you're referring to T-Mobile's "HotSpot at Home" service, it's actually $20
> per month, per line on the account (unless it's changed very recently).

I don't know about that, could be you are right.

> As far as how it works on T-Mobile, I recently had some questions answered by
> them about that..  They use UMA over wifi, and it does automatic switching
> between the wifi and the gsm towers (ie; your call stays up).

The same goes for Sprint.

> Quote from the tech I talked to:
> "HotSpot at Home does not use a VoIP protocol, as the voice data is
> transferred from the Internet directly to our UMA Gateway and then
> through our regular Mobile Switching Centers."

I know it's a quote from the tech, but isn't it voice packets that
travels over the Internet (a packet switched network) instead of over
GSM (TDM switched network) which makes that statement incorrect? It
doesn't matter what the higher level protocol is, it's still VoIP.