[asterisk-users] Dialing an external number and then passing it to an extension...

Carlos Chavez cursor at telecomabmex.com
Thu Sep 20 22:22:07 CDT 2007

     I am in need of some guidance regarding the following problem:

I need to dial an external number from a list(PSTN)
I need to check if the number is busy, no answer or fail
If any of the above are met then I try another number from a list
If none of the above happen then I first need to determine if the line
answering is a fax machine or an answering machine
If fax or answering machine then hangup and try next number
If human then connect to an internal extension

     An outbound callcenter suite is overkill since we only need two or three
calls at a time.  Can something like this be done using the Originate command
on AMI?  The main problem I have is that if I dial an external call and it
fails for some reason how do I know?  Is there something like ${DIALSTATUS}
that can give me the result of that part of the call?

     We plan to have a web interface that will fire the call when you click a
button.  That will fire an event that connects to the manager interface and
uses originate to dial the external call and then dial the internal extension
if all conditions are met.  The numbers will be in a database.

--
Carlos Chavez
Director de Tecnología