[asterisk-users] Dialing an external number and then passing it to an extension...

Nicholas Blasgen nicholas at blasgen.com
Sat Sep 22 01:24:36 CDT 2007

Okay, you need to explain to me a little more about why you're calling the
list before connecting it to an extension.

So for me, I use a .CALL file but I assume your setup does the same thing.
It will call a number and once ANSWERED, pass it to an extension.  Let's say
we pass it to a LOCAL channel and have that then passed to the extension.
Have the LOCAL be a bunch of Dial() strings.  Humm, that will only go to the
first line that gets answered--it wont check to see if it's a fax or
answering machine.  So that doesn't work.

You could so some complex thing with the manager.  Connect a single call to
an extension that decides if it's an answering machine, fax, or human.  If
human, it can do a GOTO command.  If not human, it can set some type of
GLOBAL var and hangup.  When the Manager detects the EVENT "HANGUP" it can
see if it made that call recently, if it did, then it can go to the next
number in the list.  Repeate.  That does it, but it's not great.

I'd like to know more about why you're doing things the way you're doing
them.  There might be a better way.

On 9/20/07, Carlos Chavez <cursor at telecomabmex.com> wrote:

>     I am in need of some guidance regarding the following problem:
>
> I need to dial an external number from a list(PSTN)
> I need to check if the number is busy, no answer or fail
> If any of the above are met then I try another number from a list
> If none of the above happen then I first need to determine if the line
> answering is a fax machine or an answering machine
> If fax or answering machine then hangup and try next number
> If human then connect to an internal extension
>
>     An outbound callcenter suite is overkill since we only need two or
> three
> calls at a time.  Can something like this be done using the Originate
> command
> on AMI?  The main problem I have is that if I dial an external call and it
> fails for some reason how do I know?  Is there something like
> ${DIALSTATUS}
> that can give me the result of that part of the call?
>
>     We plan to have a web interface that will fire the call when you click
> button.  That will fire an event that connects to the manager interface
> and
> uses originate to dial the external call and then dial the internal
> extension
> if all conditions are met.  The numbers will be in a database.
>
> --
> Carlos Chavez
> Director de Tecnología
> Telecomunicaciones Abiertas de México S.A. de C.V.
> Tel: +52-55-91169161 Ext 2001

/Nick