[asterisk-users] OT: Samsung Sprint CDMAoIP

Jason Parker jparker at digium.com
Thu Sep 20 13:49:13 CDT 2007

C F wrote:
> AFAIK, the calls are free when you use it thru that device. Sprint
> however charges $15 a month per phone or $30 for family plan. While I
> agree that sprint should pay me for this, it's not as bad. T-mobile on
> the other hand, does the same thing with wifi enabled phones, it
> doesn't cost extra, and is completely free.

If you're referring to T-Mobile's "HotSpot at Home" service, it's actually $20
per month, per line on the account (unless it's changed very recently).

As far as how it works on T-Mobile, I recently had some questions answered by
them about that..  They use UMA over wifi, and it does automatic switching
between the wifi and the gsm towers (ie; your call stays up).

Quote from the tech I talked to:
"HotSpot at Home does not use a VoIP protocol, as the voice data is
transferred from the Internet directly to our UMA Gateway and then
through our regular Mobile Switching Centers."

Pretty interesting stuff.

--
Jason Parker
Digium