[asterisk-users] Asterisk voice quality tuning

Joe Pukepail pukepail at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 09:36:20 CDT 2007

I will try to answer it this way:

G.711 is toll quality voice, if everything is functioning properly should be
almost identical to a regular phone call.

You will need to do trouble shooting to (in the words drilled into me by an
old boss): isolate, identify and quantify the issue.   I would start by
setting up a record/playback extension, call it from PSTN and call it from
the SIP phones, see where the noise is being introduced, from there could be
hundreds of different things (LAN congestion, interrupt sharing on the PSTN
card, bad wiring, faulty switch, etc).

So to answer your question there isn't a parameter that says "Noise=Yes/No",
you need to: isolate, identify and quantify the noise.