[asterisk-users] TE405P intermittent yellow alarm

Richard van der Hoff richardv at mxtelecom.com
Fri Sep 14 05:29:35 CDT 2007

Thanks to everyone who helped with this.

Don Pobanz wrote:
> On Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:58 AM Richard van der Hoff said
>> Thanks for your help, but again I'd like to ask: what does a yellow
>> alarm actually mean? From the driver source code I can see it is set
>> when the FRS0 register has bit 4 set - but that doesn't help a lot...
>>

> All of my experience has been with T1s, not E1s but I assume the alarms
> mean the same even though they are transmitted differently.
>
> Suppose that there are three pieces of equipment 'A', 'B', and 'C' and
> the signal from 'A' to 'B' has been interrupted (designated by the 'X'
> in the diagram) so that 'B' is not seeing an incoming signal. 'B' will
> be in red alarm, and 'B' will transmit back to 'A' a yellow alarm
> indicator. When 'A' see the yellow alarm indicator, 'A' will go into
> yellow alarm.

So basically, a yellow alarm as shown by zttool etc just means that the
remote equipment is sending a yellow alarm indicator. Which is odd,
because in this case, equipment 'B' is a BT NTE51D (like one of these:
http://www.sjgl.co.uk/isdn/pri-nte.htm) which was showing no faults
whatsoever (you can log into it over a serial link and read the fault log).

For the record, I think the fault has now been resolved, by the BT
engineers fiddling about with stuff in the exchange. Their report was
"Monitored line and found line level was dipping below specified levels.
Reterminated jumpers and reseated LTE."  So it was their fault all along
- it just would have been nice to have been able to give them a bit more
information than "um, our kit is showing a yellow alarm, but I don't
know what that means".

Thanks again,

Richard

--