[asterisk-users] Best cheap card to use for home Asterisk system???

Darrick Hartman (lists) dhartman at djhsolutions.com
Wed Oct 31 10:25:58 CDT 2007

Tim Reimers wrote:
> I have a single phone line (happens to be Charter Communications VOIP,
> but I have their ATA and they’ve connected to red/green pair in the
> house wiring)

Ok. so they've installed an ATA which connects your analog phones to
their VoIP (perhaps SIP) service.

> What I’d like to do is this:
>
> Get some low-end but reliable card/external adapter which would connect
> to their ATA and tie into Asterisk to take calls and faxes

OK.  Since we've established above that Charter's service is VoIP
converted to analog, AND since Asterisk isn't really designed to work
with fax over IP it is safe to say that it's not worth the effort to
attempt to get this to work.  I have relatives who have Time Warner's
offering and even a stand alone fax machine will not work reliably over
their "internet phone" service.  Hell the audio quality is crap most of
the time.

> I’m assuming this should be something with one FXO and one FXS port to
> connect the incoming line to and to connect the red/green wiring in the
> house to.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Canadian television show that
is popular on PBS in the US, but this sounds alot like the guy on the
Red Green Show using duct tape to fix things.  If you really want to use
Asterisk, you'd be better off getting an account with a SIP provider and
using an FXS adapter to feed "line 2" on your phones similar to what
Charter is doing with line 1.  Linksys makes a decent adapter which
would suit this purpose.

Good luck!

Darrick
--