[asterisk-users] Best cheap card to use for home Asterisk system???

Tim Reimers tim.reimers at asheville.k12.nc.us
Wed Oct 31 09:17:22 CDT 2007

Hi all -

I'm building an Asterisk system (Trix2.2) for the house-

I'd like to do the following things:

I have a single phone line (happens to be Charter Communications VOIP,
but I have their ATA and they've connected to red/green pair in the
house wiring)

What I'd like to do is this:

Get some low-end but reliable card/external adapter which would connect
to their ATA and tie into Asterisk to take calls and faxes

I'm assuming this should be something with one FXO and one FXS port to
connect the incoming line to and to connect the red/green wiring in the
house to.

I don't mind if all the house phones ring at one time for the moment, as
line 2 on them are the Asterisk extensions.

Whatever I use must also have failover capability, such that when
Asterisk is not working right (server down completely OR just not
responding)

then the unit fails over and cross connects and makes things work just
as is normally the case with Charter only.

Unfortunately, I don't have a budget of hundreds of dollars for a true
Digium multiport card -

I've already built out Asterisk and have a Cisco ATA supporting line 2
on a couple of cordless phones,

but I'd like to have the failover piece so that if * starts failing, the
home phones still work..

Thanks, Tim