[asterisk-users] Fax Problems with SpanDSP

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Oct 30 19:36:51 CDT 2007

Alan Lord wrote:
> Steve Davies wrote:
>
>> On 10/30/07, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:
>>
>>> This was fixed a few weeks ago. There was an error in the FAX decoder,
>>> but only a very few encoders create images that hit the issue. If you
>>> try 0.0.4pre11 you will find it fixes several other quirky compatibility
>>> issues. I have cleaned up several long standing issues, particularly
>>> with Canon machines, in the last few weeks.
>>>

>> Many thanks.
>>
>> I have been playing with pre11 today, and the results are certainly
>> looking good.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Steve
>>

> My aplogies for hijacking your thread but have I read this correctly?
> Can I use SpanDSP and Asterisk to handle incoming (and possibly
> outgoing) faxing?
>
> Is there a howto or some notes somewhere?
>
> I have seen the SpanDSP code used in the fantastic OSLEC echo canceller
> but have not seen it referenced anywhere else?

SpanDSP handles faxes within Asterisk, through the app_rxfax and
app_txfax applications. It handles faxes outside Asterisk when used with
iaxmodem (there is actually a copy inside the iaxmodem package).

SpanDSP cannot be used by the standard distribution of Asterisk, as it
is GPL code. However, if you are using Asterisk within the restrictions
of the GPL you can add app_rxfax and app_txfax to Asterisk quite easily.

Regards,
Steve