[asterisk-users] Faxing with Asterisk & SpanDSP [Was Fax Problems with SpanDSP]

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 03:46:50 CDT 2007

Steve Underwood wrote:
<snip /> ...
> SpanDSP handles faxes within Asterisk, through the app_rxfax and
> app_txfax applications. It handles faxes outside Asterisk when used with
> iaxmodem (there is actually a copy inside the iaxmodem package).
>
> SpanDSP cannot be used by the standard distribution of Asterisk, as it
> is GPL code. However, if you are using Asterisk within the restrictions
> of the GPL you can add app_rxfax and app_txfax to Asterisk quite easily.
>
> Regards,
> Steve

Thanks Steve,

I was a bit lazy when I posted that question sorry - I just got a bit
excited. A quick google and looking around the voip-info.org site
pointed me to some interesting pages.

Could anyone who has experience confirm if:

* this will work with an x100p card so I can have a single FXO line that
can detect incoming faxes and/or voice calls and enable me to use it for
outgoing voice and fax?

Also, I read somewhere that Asterisk should "never" be used with fax.
IIRC correctly it was by the moderator on the Trixbox forum discussion
about the trial of OSLEC. Yes, here:
http://www.trixbox.org/forums/trixbox-forums/open-discussion/need-people-echo-problems

"I really don't know how many times I need to say this but you should
never run faxes through Asterisk. It was not designed to handle it.
--
Kerry Garrison
trixbox Community Director"

Is he right?

The question that prompted this reply was about how to turn off echo
cancellation for fax traffic. Is this achievable?

Many thanks

Alan

--
The way out is open!