[asterisk-users] Is there real benefits on a SMP machine for Asterisk?

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Thu Oct 11 12:54:42 CDT 2007

> At this point I was wondering if Asterisk gets real benefits on systems
> with several cores (up to 8 in Dell PE2950) for a system that will handle
> up to 35 simultaneous SIP call with 10 FXO ports and 2 FXS for analog
> phones/fax (Sangoma A400D PCI card).

I suppose that yes. Asterisk uses pthread, and it should distribute load
across multiple cores.

However, i doubt that you will need that much for 35 simultenous calls.

I have 8-core system that has web interface + sql + java + some other stuff
running, and at 30 simultenous calls i get loadavg maximum of 3.

Regards,
Atis

--
Atis Lezdins