[asterisk-users] Is there real benefits on a SMP machine for Asterisk?

Raúl Gómez C. raulgomez at cantv.net
Thu Oct 11 12:36:43 CDT 2007

Hi list,

I'm now considering to buy a new server for an Asterisk installation, since
I've been kindly
advised<http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2007-October/198146.html>not
to use an old server for a mission critical app...

Well, playing around in Dell's, HP's and IBM's online stores, I've noticed a
lot of Discounts or even FREE upgrades from Dual to Quad Core CPU's, and I
cant believe that Dell offers FREE upgrades in some cases from One to Two
CPU's (at least in the PowerEdge 2950 and 2970 models). I've chosen the 29xx
line of servers for the redundant power supply, since it is really important
to keep the uptime of the PBX as high as possible!

At this point I was wondering if Asterisk gets real benefits on systems with
several cores (up to 8 in Dell PE2950) for a system that will handle up to
35 simultaneous SIP call with 10 FXO ports and 2 FXS for analog phones/fax
(Sangoma A400D PCI card).

Thanks!

Raul