[asterisk-users] Opinion on hardware (computer) for an Asterisk Server!

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Oct 11 10:38:01 CDT 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Raúl Gómez C. wrote:

> Good point Gordon, but I have 2 spare drives (of line), the server has 2
> (redundant) PSU, one of this brand new, the fans has already failed and
> has bee replaced, so there are brand new too.

> I'm not sure if a server has another component that is prone to fail, so
> any advise/suggestion is welcome.

Hard to say, really. Electrolytic capacitors are what tends to fail
over the longer term, and I'd put in a new CMOS/RTC battery for good
measure too.

And I'm sure you're not alone in trying to recycle old hardware - I myself
have several old systems acting as various test servers/firewalls, etc.
but none that are in what I'd consider to be a "mission critical"
position.

I'd suggest it would be a good system to develop the software on, test
your dial-plans, etc. but I'd still want to look at modern hardware for a
live production system.

Gordon