[asterisk-users] How are you using Asterisk at Home ?

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Tue Oct 9 07:04:39 CDT 2007

D4rk F1ber wrote:

> So yes I am asking because I am unimaginative and need ideas on
> selling this to the wife.  :-)  That and I am just curious about what
> others feel are useful uses for it within the home, and what others
> get excited about regarding it all.

I do trunks/terminations so its easy for me to set all sorts of fun
things up. Anyhow, here is a method for pitching it to your wife. If you
have family dispersed throughout the United States, get yourself an 800
number and let Asterisk manage the way your family connects to each
other at a cheap rate: E.g.

Example:
Mom 12125551000 (New York)
Dan 13015551001 (DC)
Tom 19085552001 (Jersey)

Create a dialplan so your family can call your 800 number then re-route
them to the family member of choice for example:

Press 1 for Mom, Press 2 for Dan and so on...

[transfer]
exten => 1,1,Dial(SIP/12125551000 at provider) ; Call Mom
exten => 2,1,Dial(SIP/13015551001 at provider) ; Call Dan
exten => 3,1,Dial(SIP/19085552001 at provider) ; Call Tom

Since you stated something about a child, this would also help them in
the unfortunate event of them either not having a cellular nor money.
They can call you toll free... You can create a find me follow me
context and have a context ring multiple numbers...

Send telemarketers to telemarketer hell on transfer
(http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Telemarketer+Torture)

There is a lot of nifty stuff you can do. If you're willing to get some
ATA's dirt cheap and you have family abroad, you can save your entire
family money. There are many things you could do with it on a personal
level.

J. Oquendo
"Excusatio non petita, accusatio manifesta"

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF684C42E
sil . infiltrated @ net http://www.infiltrated.net