[asterisk-users] How are you using Asterisk at Home ?

Gleim, Jason jgleim at ats-ohio.com
Wed Oct 10 14:51:37 CDT 2007

I setup Trixbox on an Dell Precision 360. I ported my old POTS line over
to a pay-as-you-go through Teliax because we weren't using more than 500
minutes a month on the home line.

When a caller rings in, I screen the call with time-of-day routing. In
general, if the call comes before 7:30 AM or after 10:30 PM, it isn't
going to ring through (we had 'problems' with my father-in-law calling
us at 7:00 on Saturday to see what we were doing). Instead, they get a
voice menu with me politely telling the caller we're not accepting calls
at that time. But, I added a code of '111' to that menu and gave it to
the family. If they are calling with an emergency, they enter that code
and it rings all the extensions in the house plus both of our cell
phones. The first one to pickup grabs the call.

If calls aren't restricted by TOD, they have to get past privacy manager
and blacklist before they will ring some of the extensions (did this
with a ring group). If nobody picks up, they are dropped into a voice
menu that allows them to leave either of us messages or transfer to our
cell phones. This way we can just give everyone a single number and not
worry about letting out our cell phone numbers. Of course, calls to the
cell phones are confirmed so when one comes in, we have to hit 1 on the
cell if we want to accept the call... otherwise its back into VM for the
caller.

Of course, voicemails are sent via e-mail to my wife and I and I also
setup an Aastra 57i on my desk at work that connects to the company
server on line 1 and to the home box on line 2.

I even got a second line from Teliax in August and set it up to only
ring the phone at work. I used this line while I was setting up the
wife's surprise 30th birthday party. It was brilliant because guests
could call me and there was no trace of the call on my cell phone where
she might see it and it didn't ring the home phones.

I'm not doing anything really cool like pausing the TV but the setup has
worked very well and has given us control over the phone. Instead of us
being slaves to when people call, they get through at our pleasure now.
It has been a big improvement. (plus it has impressed some of my
friends!)

Jason