[asterisk-users] Sangoma vs Digium: (was Re: ping too)

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 15:25:47 CDT 2007

On 10/6/07, Erik Anderson <erikerik at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/6/07, Matt Florell <astmattf at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Do not use Dell. I have had issues with both Sangoma and Digium cards
> > on multiple brand-new Dell servers. This is the only vendor that has
> > consistently given me problems with telco-interface cards.
>
> I'll have to refute this.  Every single asterisk system I've put
> together has been on a Dell hardware. I use Sangoma linecards in all
> of my systems.  I'm running several of the lower-end Dell "SC" server
> series, as well as several servers running on higher-end PowerEdge
> 2950, 2650, and 1950 hardware.  I haven't had a single problem on any
> of them, audio quality-wise or stabilty-wise.

Some compatibility issues, but mostly stability issues. It started
last year with a 6850(4 x dual-core Xeons) that I ran with a PCI
Sangoma 8-port T1 card to do stress tests on. Two of the CPUs "burned
up" after 5 weeks of stress tests.

Then over the last year I have had three large clients that are
Dell-only companies and they all had dozens of 2U 2950 servers. about
half of them that I worked on(8 out of 16) handled the PCIexpress
cards just fine, but some of them would randomly crash with PCIE
errors. Didn't matter if it was Sangoma or Digium, they crashed just
the same. I would take a card that was crashing one system and put it
in one of the servers with no issues and it would be fine, and I would
take a card from a working system and put it in the troubled servers
and the problems would show up. There is also the problem with the
Digium TE420 where if you put it into the PCIexpress x4 slot on the
Dell 2950 that the machine will not even post, I never had that happen
on any other system or motherboard.

In the end, two of the companies switched to other server
manufacturers for their Asterisk servers and all of these problems
went away completely. The third company is sticking with Dell, and I
have been going through Dell support and multiple on-site service
calls to try to get these systems working.

I do not post a negative review of a manufacturer unless I have a lot
of personal first-hand experience to prove my opinions, and in the
case of Dell I have a lot of it.

MATT---