[asterisk-users] Sangoma vs Digium: (was Re: ping too)

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 10:10:52 CDT 2007

On 10/6/07, Julian Lyndon-Smith <asterisk at dotr.com> wrote:
> Julian Lyndon-Smith wrote:
> >> Nothing from me is posting to the list either.
> >>

> > heh. Thought that this trick would work: it did for Doug.
> >
> > I've been trying to send the email below for 3 days now !
> >
> > I know this is probably going to ignite the flames again ..
> >
> > I have looked at the recent threads regarding these two manufacturers,
> > but there didn't seem to be much *technical* differences between the 2,
> > it was rather more subjective - some people say Sangoma is better, some
> > say Digium. And quite a lot of "you're spreading FUD" "No, you are" etc.
> >
> > I wanted to know if anyone has any specific comparisons or suggestions
> > on the Sangoma A104D and the Digium TE406/411 cards ?
>
> I didn't want to start a flame war. I honestly just wanted a simple
> "yes" or "no" to the question "Is a 406/411 technically comparable to
> the a104D".

I think you mean the TE407/412 cards, the 406/411 series (using the
OKI chipset instead of the Octasic) were discontinued by Digium. And
while the Sangoma line uses "a104" as a base for all variations of
their quad-port T1/E1 cards(PCI/PCIexpress/EC/non-EC) Digium has
several different product numbers for standard PCI(TE405P/410/407/412)
and a different number for their PCIexpress cards(TE420) where it
seems that they have changed their product naming scheme to be more
similar to Sangoma's adding a "B" for the echo-can version of the
card.

Here's a run-down of the available quad T1 cards from the 3 big players:
Digium:
- TE405P - PCI 5v-only, NO hardware EC
- TE410P - PCI 3v-only, NO hardware EC
- TE406P/TE411P - DISCONTINUED
- TE407P - PCI 5v-only, Octasic Hardware Echo-cancellation
- TE412P - PCI 3v-only, Octasic Hardware Echo-cancellation
- TE420 - PCIexpress, NO hardware EC
- TE420B - PCIexpress, Octasic Hardware Echo-cancellation

Rhino:
- R4T1 - PCI, NO hardware EC
- R4T1-e - PCIexpress, NO hardware EC
- Add-on Octasic Echo Canceller

Sangoma:
- a104 - PCI, NO Hardware EC
- a104X - PCIexpress, NO Hardware EC
- a104d - PCI, Octasic Hardware Echo-cancellation
- a104dX - PCIexpress, Octasic Hardware Echo-cancellation

>  From what I've read, the IRQ issues are not present any more on the
> digium cards.
>
> Is the echo cancelling hardware comparable ?
>
> I need to install the new card in a dell 2850 or 2950 or possibly even a
> HP DL360. Anyone have some comments on this ?

Do not use Dell. I have had issues with both Sangoma and Digium cards
on multiple brand-new Dell servers. This is the only vendor that has
consistently given me problems with telco-interface cards.

Hope that helps,

MATT---