[asterisk-users] Replace full PRI with SIP/IAX trunks...YES/NO?

Jim Canfield jcanfield at tshmail.com
Fri Oct 5 14:41:36 CDT 2007

Steve Totaro wrote:

> If your provider will be providing the SIP trunks then it might be OK.
> Otherwise I would stick with PRI.
>
> My lessons learned are that you cannot control the public internet and
> traffic shaping and QoS are not useful most of the time.  I would only
> consider a point to point if this your phone system is mission critical.
>
> Explain a little more on who would replace your service and over what
> facilities.  Surely, you are not going to get IAX service from your
> internet provider.

Thanks Steve,

QOS has been a concern, I was told by my data provider (Cox
Communications) I "might" see some SIP trunking options directly through
them by the end of the year which would be fantastic given I have their
fiber to my MDF.  I currently have a test IAX trunk setup with an ITSP
but I just realized they would be leasing a T-1 from BELL to provide any
QOS....so kindof pointless, unless it's a LOT cheaper.  Guess I knew the
answer, just needed you guys prop me up.

-jc